Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

I love Good Friday. I'm a bit sad that I didn't make it to church this year, but the day was too full of caring for baby, etc. One of my favorite college professors said that Good Friday takes seriously the terrible cost in this world for justice to be achieved.

Perhaps by way of observance, Tim and I went over to see The Big Sellout at our friends' apartment. It's a great film about the terrible effects of corporate globalization and privatization on people's lives -- AND the ways those people are fighting back. From a mother trying to get medicine and dialysis treatment for her son in the Philippines, to the Soweto Electricity Crisis Committee reconnecting people's power when the company shuts it off, to a union leader train driver in England, to the popular uprising over privatization of water (by Bechtel, no less) in Cochabamba, Bolivia, they were stories that were inspiring as well as troubling.

No comments: