Saturday, March 22, 2008

Last Day!

As my brother pointed out this morning, the appropriate emotion for today in Holy Week is perplexity (or aporia) -- being at a loss. Remembering how bewildered and lost the disciples must have felt after Jesus died.

We had a very beautiful Easter Vigil service this evening; a first for our congregation that grew out of our Sunday evening Vespers, newly begun this fall. Vespers was on Saturday instead of Sunday this week, and we drew on a traditional Vigil liturgy, but it still had much of the feel of our Vespers service. About midway through the service, the light was brought into the church; all the lights were turned up and candles lighted, and we moved from sorrow into joy.

Happy Easter!

PS - Since this is the end of Lent, it also marks the end of my Lenten blogging -- for this year, at least. Perhaps I will pick it up again next Ash Wednesday. It has been a very useful discipline, and I think it has made sermon writing a little easier, either because I'm just writing more or because focusing on "the spiritual aspects of life" daily and developing certain ideas a bit means I have a head start on potential items for sermons. Meanwhile, I'll probably do better about posting to my other blog.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

avocadoinparadise said...

What an interesting blog. You should keep it up so we can see what life is like year-round for pastoral people. :)