Friday, March 14, 2008

More questions than answers

So, I'm super late with my blog post tonight... hence it will be brief.

One of the ideas I encounter surprisingly often, that is in my view a misconception, is the idea that people of faith either have or think they have "all the answers." I suppose there are some people who think they do, but I get the distinct impression that most people don't feel thttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifhat they have all the answers. But I do think that people who see themselves as outsiders to religion perceive people of faith as having more answers. I also think that people of faith sometimes think having more answers would make them more faithful. That's more than enough conjecture about what other people think.

I think that faith gives us more questions than answers, and can and should help us ask better questions... but doesn't always give us clear answers. And exploring questions about the deep, meaningful things in life often leads to more questions. My view on this is very consistent with my tradition, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), which puts a high value on individual conscience theological diversity. Arriving at the same answers is not an indicator of faithfulness.

My faith does ground me, and reassure me, and challenge me to be a better person. It also keeps me asking the big trifecta of questions: How can I love God? How can I love my neighbor? How can I love myself?

No comments: