Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The tongue (and ear) of a teacher

I was reading today's lectionary readings, trolling for inspiration, and I was struck by the first verse of the first reading: "The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. (Isaiah 50:4)"

It seems to me that having your ear awakened to "listen as those who are taught" is an amazing gift for teachers or preachers, or anyone who hopes that people will listen to them... and I think the best teachers and preachers possess this gift. I think it's the challenge for me and the other people involved in teaching Sunday School to kids; how do we put on the "ears" of elementary school students (1st grade is very different than 5th grade, and the individuals vary greatly as well)?

Knowing, or imagining, how someone will hear your words is an important step in deciding what to say -- it's also a way of being gracious.

No comments: