Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lenten Discipline

Maybe it's a bit early to reflect on this practice of blogging for Lent -- 40 days is a long time, and it's only been a week, but I'm pretty impressed that I've actually managed to post every day. Anyone who's been paying attention to the time on my posts will notice that most, like this one, have been in the final hour of the day. I suppose that's not too different from the final hour of Saturday night when I often finish sermons. (And yes, sometimes it does go into the wee hours of Sunday... I have a strong tendency to procrastinate...)

Thomas Edison is credited with the saying that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. I think both the creative process and the spiritual life are in similar percentages... you put in the time, whether in writing or in prayer, and the moments come. This blog is my way of putting in the time, both in focusing on the Spirit and in writing about doing so, and I'm enjoying the feeling of "sweating," much like I enjoy physical labor on those rare occasions I engage in it.

I also like the way that I'm more attuned, at least some of the time, to the moments of grace in my everyday living, because they could give me a topic to write about that day.

No comments: