Friday, February 22, 2008

Singleness of Purpose

Another Quinn-inspired (Quinspired?) musing today... at 3 months old, she has made noticeable gains in her manual dexterity. Her main use of said dexterity is grabbing things and putting them in her mouth (sometimes just getting her hands in is good enough). She seemingly never gets tired of the task of grabbing onto things and bringing them to her mouth -- she has an amazing amount of focus and determination when she is doing this, and it is very clearly the sole focus of all the energies of her little brain and body.

I was reflecting today that I almost envy this singleness of purpose she has. Perhaps it's the nature of life, or my life, but I think becoming a parent has made it worse... there are so many small things to be done, that I very rarely feel a) that I am able to devote full attention to one thing for any length of time, or b) that I have a sense of Purpose in the things that I am doing.

I think that it is in part this desire for a sense of Purpose that has me re-evaluating my life as I go back to work, thinking more about how I am using my time (even though there now seems to be a lot less of it!). I've been feeling for a while like I should be doing more things that get me involved in the needs of my community (and that I want to encourage my church in that direction as well).

My purpose, vocationally and personally, if I think about it, is simple: to experience God's love and share it with other people. Perhaps that means grabbing hold of it where I see it and learning again to "taste and see that the LORD is good."

No comments: