Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine

I've never been very excited about Valentine's Day; how we got from a day that honored the martyrdom of a saint to a day that every fancy restaurant in town is full is unclear to me. http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Wikipedia (such a useful source!) has some of the history. I used to aspire to making Valentines with a cutesy cartoon version of St. Valentine having his head removed (I'm not actually sure if that was the method of his execution, or if we know what was).

I do like some things about Valentine's Day: well, the chocolate. Even that, I have some reservations about; not only am I trying to stick to fair trade chocolate these days, but I am also amazed at the way there always seems to be "special occasion" candy in drugstores and grocery stores. They go straight from Halloween to Christmas, and before the half-price chocolate Santas are gone, it's on to Valentine's Day, and then Easter. I suppose there's some sort of candy vacation between Easter and Halloween.

I also like the "give a Valentine to everyone in the class" model from my elementary school years; some people feel free to show love to friends and family.

What I think is most problematic about Valentine's Day (even on the years when I don't give up chocolate for Lent ;)), is how it is probably the most extreme example of how our culture first valorizes romantic love, privileging it over other relationships, and then commodifies it; you show appreciation for your beloved by purchasing flowers, chocolate, or jewelry (diamonds, of course, are best). All of which leaves single people feeling especially lonely. (Although anyone can enjoy chocolate!)

As Christians, we're always supposed to be trying to love more; asking ourselves how do we love God with heart and soul and mind and strength, and how can we love our neighbors as ourselves?

No comments: